Trump claims he demanded Jim Mattis to resign — but the retired Marine reportedly made 2 copies of his resignation letter when he quit
- President Donald Trump continued to assert that former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis was fired rather than voluntarily resigning.
- Trump claimed he asked Mattis for a letter of resignation.
- The president’s recollection of the incident contradicts the account written in Bob Woodward’s recent White House tell-all, “Rage.”
- In the book, Woodward wrote that Mattis made two copies of his resignation letter — one copy to take with him to a contentious meeting with Trump, and the other copy in his office to release to news organizations.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
President Donald Trump continued to assert that his former defense secretary was fired rather than voluntarily resigning, a claim that was refuted by a recent White House tell-all…